The absolute best (natural) relief for ear infections and earaches.
HOW TO MAKE A SALT SOCK:
A Salt Sock is basically just a white cotton sock filled with Coarse Sea Salt that you heat up and place on the affected ear for relief. Scientifically I could speak about the healing properties of the minerals in the sea salt, or how the salt retains the heat so well creating a shift in the pressure within the ear… but it’s so much more fun to just say its MAGIC!!! Who couldn’t use a little more magic in their life – especially when their baby is suffering from an earache?
- You will need a clean – ALL WHITE sock. Do not… I repeat, DO NOT, use colored socks or socks with a colored toe section or colored line in the toe area. There is something in the colored threads/material that is flammable and will melt when you heat the sock. Do not risk it!
- Next, you will need about 1-1/2 cups of Coarse Seal Salt. It has to be coarse or it will seep out of the sock… and it has to be sea salt – regular table salt is not the same.
- Carefully pour the salt into the sock and tie a knot (or double knot) in the end. It should be about the size of your hand.
- Heat it in a clean skillet, over medium-low heat for about 4-6 minutes – pick it up and shake it around and flip it every minute or so, so it will heat evenly. Heat until it is very warm, but not burning to the touch.
- Cover your ear and the area behind your jaw bone with the sock and relax for a while. You will be amazed by the relief. You can reuse the salt sock for a long time, though it will discolor after a while. Replace with a new one when it gets too old, dirty or worn.
Tacoma & South Sound Macaroni Kid is a free weekly calendar and website focused on fun family events, activities, and more in Tacoma and South Sound. We gather all kinds of local family events and activities each week and add useful information about schools, classes, family-focused businesses, book and product reviews, recipes, crafts, giveaways, and so much more. We proudly serve families in the South Sound area including Tacoma, Fife, Fircrest, Ruston. Macaroni Kid Tacoma & South Sound full of useful local information for local families, plus tons of kid-friendly events on our event calendar HERE.
Like what you see here and want to get all of the local fun delivered right to your inbox weekly? Subscribe to our FREE weekly calendar HERE for the 411 on all of the local family fun in Tacoma & South Sound & more!